sábado, 20 de octubre de 2012

Steve Jobs' message applied in my life- Bianca


First, I believe that a story cannot be applied in your life; I find the expression inaccurate for the real objective of this work. The thing we have to do is to connect the message of each one of these 3 stories that are general, to our lives, to our own story. That is DIFFERENT.

The first story is about connecting the dots. The title is not easy to interpret, but the idea is developed in the speech, so it can be understandable. The message of this piece of the story is basically that it is important to follow your instincts, they might look wrong, they might make you take decisions that are apparently not good for you, but in the end you have to trust in them, because every decision you make, everything you do, will have a consequence in the future and maybe you can’t see what will happened, but sometime later you’ll be able to see how that decisions change your life. I have to say that, in my case, the idea of applying this in my life is quite useful, and I actually do it. The problem is that sometimes I’m unable to understand my instincts, and I lose a lot of things meanwhile.  I find in me two types of instincts that go to opposite directions, one that prefers safe models and the other that wants me to do something risky.  I thing that it is a matter of finding a middle point, I know that it has it’s advantages and disadvantages, but for now, it works for me, maybe I’m letting go a lot of things, but I’m winning some others too. I think that to follow your instincts is very important but it isn’t all, in the end the capacity of taking conscious and analyzed decisions differentiate us from animals.

The second story is about love and loss.  The message of this piece of the speech is that even if there are critical moments when apparently you’ve lost everything, if you do what you really love, then everything is going to be alright somehow. This issue is very important in the professional aspect, for example in my case a lot of people think that I’ll starve as a biologist. At least in Ecuador, it is hard to find a good job as a Biology graduate, or a well remunerated work at least. My high school teachers told me that Biology is so interesting and complex and perfect for my intellectual abilities, but that I´ll have to get used to the idea of a not so comfortable life, so that it’ll be better to choose Medicine or Psychology. During my last year, I was really troubled for the issue; I was actually considering looking for another career. Something really made the difference. In March I went to the Catolica’s Scientific Station in Yasuní with my class for 4 days. I didn’t do as much activities as I would’ve like to do, but with little things such as climbing the observation tower and watching the overstory of the woods that were so beautiful, so full of life, I realized that I love life in every sense, and that I wanted to explore every little piece of it. So right now, I’m doing what I love, and no matter what, I’m expecting the best of it, I’ll do the best of it.

The third story is about death. The message of this piece of the speech is about the fact that life is short and we should not waste our lives doing something we don’t love and that every day we have to fall in love again with what we do. I’ve seen a lot of people that hates his or her career or job and when they decide to change that, to start all over again it is late in their lives. I really wouldn’t like that for me, so I expect that I did the right choice. That can be applied too in every aspect of our lives. I’ve never faced death directly, but I’ve lost people I love more that my life, so somehow I think that experiences like that makes you realize that when you spend your time doing useless things, like being mad, or hating, or fighting with that person, you are wasting your time with him or her, so it is important not to do so. In my case, I used to do a lot of things so people would like me, I pretended to be who I wasn’t, but when I realized that it didn’t made me happy, that I was wasting my time by being with people that didn’t like me, I stopped pretending. Obviously that people took me out of their lives, but on the other hand, another bunch of people took me in, and they like me, because I’m me, and I don’t care anymore about the ones that doesn’t.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario