domingo, 28 de octubre de 2012

Skype pal- Bianca

This Skype- pal activity is kind of interesting. I'm shy and terrible when it is time to meet new people and all that stuff. My two skype pals were nice, I guess. They were a boy and a girl, from small towns in Nebraska. I am terrible at memorizing names so I don't remember their names (sorry!). The guy was actually pretty shy, he didn't talk too much, and he rather complemented some answers and questions while the girl asked and answer a lot of things.

In general we tried to get to know each other, like speaking about ourselves, what we do for fun, what are we studying, things we want to do, etc. Lucky me, they were both Biologists and that was cool, athough they were in their 3rd year so that made me feel a little unconfortable because I'm in my first year and we weren't able to talk a lot about it because I don't have enough experience, anyway the told me that in order to work on doing research, you have to compete a lot in the university, so they work more in application rather that investigation.

On the other hand we talked about our cultures. They told me everything about 4 of July, their independence day, and how they celebrate it, with parades and fireworks and BBQs. That was interesting. I tried to speak about Quito's Foundation Party, how we celebrate it, whith all the chivas, bullfights, nightlife, cultural events and all of that stuff. Later we talked about pluriculturality in our countries. They said to me that their country is pluricultural because there is a lot of people from other countries. Instead, I them that Ecuador has a lot of native cultures or cultures that settled down in Ecuador a lot of time ago till now. They found interesting the fact that there is a culture in here that is isolated from the rest of the world.
They were a little surprised of my skin color because I'm very pale. They actually thought that most of us are black people or indian looking. They inferred that because Ecuador's soccer team is conformed of mostly black people. That upset me a little. Another weird thing is that they asked me if I liked white cheese, and I told them that I do like it, so they told me that all the latinamerican people likes white cheese and they told me that thy didn't like it, that it tasted like rotten milk without salt. Well, that made me feel a little uncomfortable too, but I guess that in general, the activity was nice.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario